Pages

Tuesday 31 May 2016

Thresholds - Being intimate

My Sister's Keeper trailer 2009 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiOWevDj1mw

There is something about watching a film in the cinemas that allows you to feel every single emotion of each and every character. Watching films in a theater is one of the most greatest experiences. The film almost moves through you. It is like you are in the film with the characters. But nowadays watching films in the cinema is slowly dying. It is not completely dying, and I believe that it will never go away but it is quite sad how people do not go to the cinema as much as they use to. An experience that I have encountered is watching the film 'My sister's keeper' in cinemas when it came out. When I watched it for the first time it was something that just hit me. The film itself was so beautiful that I could not let it go. I watched the film again in cinemas and it was exactly as it was the first time I watched it. When the film became available on DVD I had to purchase it. But the experience of watching the film at home was so different compared to in the cinemas. It wasn't because I had watched it again, but because the experience felt different I did not react the same way as I did when I watched it in cinemas. Watching films in the cinema feels as if there is a particular relationship you have with the film. Because the screen is large, and the sounds are surrounding you, you feel as if the film is speaking to you and you alone. When watching it on DVD on the television, there is a certain amount of distance, and the experience isn't as intimate as it was in the cinema, but when watching something from your laptop and having the headphones in can be a totally different experience to the cinema and the television. When you have the laptop, your headphones, and you are tucked up in bed, there is a completely different sense of intimacy because this is much more intimate. Everything is closer, you are more comfortable, you can hear everything so much clearer and there are no interruptions. Depending on what you are watching the film can be taken in a completely different way. I tried watching 'My sister's keeper' on the laptop and I cried just as much as I did in the cinema. It is the sense of a 'close encounter' with the film that affects how to react to certain aspects on the film. Watching films in an environment that you are use too is something that connects to everyone because of the fact you are comfortable with who you are with, where you are and what film you are watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment